June 8, 2011

Slow down days...

Is this my cry or is it just what happens in the summer when the giant yellow sphere in the afternoon sky pushes the thermometer to an almost ungodly temperature and the birds fight for a drink from the old fountain, while neighbors hide indoors to stay cool?



It seems as though the long summer days have a way of changing the way things get done around here...do you find that to be true?

...less pressure to get started with our studies (we're doing Math on M,W,F and reading on Tu,Thurs)...

...it takes a lot less time to dry clothes on the line...(that's a good thing)!  I found a nastalgic book at the library:  "the Clothesline" .  You might pick it up if you're one who, like me, longs for simpler times and the history of one of my favorite ways to celebrate being a country girl in the city!~

...if I'm to walk, I have to be out of the house by 6:45 or the sun will break through the clouds and bring unnecessary torture to an already challenging task!  Morning temps are a cool 74 or so, maybe!


...the birdbaths have to be filled twice a day and the plants watered before the sun shines through to bake leaves and flowers.

...any errands HAVE TO BE DONE BEFORE NOON, if pos-sible, because the a/c is not working and won't be fixed on a car with over 211,000 mls.

...I always get the 'itch' to read something in preparation for the upcoming school year; a book to inspire me: but this year as I've collected my stack of 'must-reads', I'm reading intentionally to hear His voice, His direction...and there's no pressure!  Books like: "The Divine Conspiracy" by Dallas Willard; "The Teenage Liberation Handbook: How to Quit School and Get a Real Life and Education" by Grace Llewellyn; "Homeschooling the Teen Years";  "Redemption" by Mike Wilkerson, just to name a few...

As the summer season becomes official this month, may my days slow  to enjoy these moments with the boys, dig in the dry dirt and reflect on all His goodness to me as I hear Daddy's heart for His boys, Isaac and Caleb.

Speaking of them, they've had a sad event happen this week...one of their hens, Snowflake, died.  When I returned from my walk Monday, I went to water the Garden and found them in tears in the backyard, digging a hole to bury her...we held each other and I hurt with them for their loss.  She will be missed.                                        

I am confident that nothing is wasted in regard to Daddy teaching His sons how to know Him, love Him and live for Him, especially the loss of an animal they loved.                    
God, help me hear Your words for their hearts.
*********************************************************************************

1 comment:

D. Ellis Phelps said...

Beautiful photographs and format for your blog. May the guidance you seek, be yours.

Aho!
D

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...