November 9, 2011

Practicing and Scoring Big...Faith in action...

I wrote this post over here, but after reading Ann's post today, felt it would be worth sharing here...
He shoots...


HE SCORES!!!

THAT was a defining moment in our son, Caleb's, life!

Sure, the other team players shoot and score and it's no big deal because they've been playing for years on a team and they play as though the game is all about them (they only pass the ball to someone they know or are sure they might score...this isn't a criticism, just the way it is at this level, especially if the coach isn't interested in anything other than winning.)

But for Caleb, he told us the ONE thing he wanted more than anything was to be able to score! He put his faith to work and got out there and scored!!!

Now, Isaac had his moment, as well. He has sat on the sidelines most of every game because of fear and because he says basketball isn't 'his' thing. But this was the last game. And despite the coach not taking a risk and giving him much time on the court, he did go out for about five minutes and he did assist a guy in scoring. That thrilled him as well, but not enough for him to ever want to play the game again. At least not on a team.

These two young men are marvelous and wonderfully made. Each has his strengths and weaknesses, as we all do. My job description is to keep looking heavenward, standing in the place of prayer for them and cheering them on with words of Life and kindness that encourage them to press forward.

This morning was a perfect example. It was time for me to give a spelling test to one of them and I specifically said I wanted the words "Unit 4, Test" written on the top line with the date in the corner. Well, he began an elaborate drawing of the letters in block form...(which is really no big deal, but the lesson he needed to learn was submission.) When I repeated that I didn't want 'those' kinds of letters, but just plain letters, he began to get offended and everything unraveled for him...his countenance changed, his attitude began to get hard! I, on the other hand, immediately saw this opportunity as a teachable moment.

We'd just read two days ago about how Jesus did what the Father told him to do and said what the Father wanted him to, the WAY HE WANTED HIM TO SAY IT ! John 12: 44-50
44 Jesus shouted to the crowds, “If you trust me, you are trusting not only me, but also God who sent me. 45 For when you see me, you are seeing the one who sent me. 46 I have come as a light to shine in this dark world, so that all who put their trust in me will no longer remain in the dark. 47 I will not judge those who hear me but don’t obey me, for I have come to save the world and not to judge it. 48 But all who reject me and my message will be judged on the day of judgment by the truth I have spoken.49 I don’t speak on my own authority. The Father who sent me has commanded me what to say and how to say it.50 And I know his commands lead to eternal life; so I say whatever the Father tells me to say.”
It was an anointed moment to explain that he was under authority and that if his Savior, who is our example, could submit to His Father's will by obediently submitting his will for us (him) all the way to the cross, then he nor I have any excuses not to submit and that I was the parent, not him and he had to obey my authority because God gave me that authority for his good. I reminded him that perhaps writing his letters a certain way isn't a big deal, but what is a big deal is his response to my authority. That mattered more to God than spelling and that, fortunately for him, I love him. Someday, I told him, he'd have at least one boss that won't care whether he lives or dies. Because I love him, I'm persevering to train him to obey God in order that when he does have an ungodly boss, that no matter what he tells him to do or how he treats him, because he's learned submission, obedience and trust in God, he will be able to be a blessing to that man/woman and God will honor him.

HE GOT IT! I mean he really got it.

When that happens, words cannot describe the joy a mother feels when she sacrifices her days for the next generation.
It's in those moments that I remember the WHY of home education. And it's also a reminder of how important it is for me to be abiding in His love and praying for each one of my five children. Each one is in their own game!

...one never knows when a teachable moment will happen...

Moms, we must be ready to be poured out.

Are you aiming your children toward the bullseye?

Are your thoughts about your children being renewed or are you missing the shot?

This game is too short, don't waste the shots you're given!


You can read more stories of how Jesus followers are practicing their faith on a day to day basis by clicking the link below. 
Enjoy.














No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...