March 29, 2010

Little piggies and a towel...

I've come to expect that boy feet and dirt are synonymous! 


Yesterday morning all four of us cuddled on our bed before Jef took the boys to church-(I stayed home cuz my dad went to the ER at the VA and I took care of mom) and as we sat on top of a very nice bedspread my sister gave us, I noticed twenty little piggies that spoke volumes about what is important to eleven yr. old twins: living life unfettered, especially of things like footwear.


Jesus visualized how God sees dirty feet:
"Before the Passover celebration, Jesus knew that his hour had come to leave this world and return to his Father. He now showed the disciples the full extent of his love.  It was time for supper, and the Devil had already enticed Judas, son of Simon Iscariot, to carry out his plan to betray Jesus.  Jesus knew that the Father had given him authority over everything and that he had come from God and would return to God.   So he got up from the table, took off his robe, wrapped a towel around his waist, and poured water into a basin. Then he began to wash the disciples' feet and to wipe them with the towel he had around him.
When he came to Simon Peter, Peter said to him, "Lord, why are you going to wash my feet?"   Jesus replied, "You don't understand now why I am doing it; someday you will."  "No," Peter protested, "you will never wash my feet!"  Jesus replied, "But if I don't wash you, you won't belong to me."  Simon Peter exclaimed, "Then wash my hands and head as well, Lord, not just my feet!"   Jesus replied, "A person who has bathed all over does not need to wash, except for the feet, to be entirely clean. And you are clean, but that isn't true of everyone here."  For Jesus knew who would betray him. That is what he meant when he said, "Not all of you are clean."
 After washing their feet, he put on his robe again and sat down and asked, "Do you understand what I was doing?  You call me 'Teacher' and 'Lord,' and you are right, because it is true.  And since I, the Lord and Teacher, have washed your feet, you ought to wash each other's feet.  I have given you an example to follow. Do as I have done to you.  How true it is that a servant is not greater than the master. Nor are messengers more important than the one who sends them. You know these things—now do them! That is the path of blessing.
 "I am not saying these things to all of you; I know so well each one of you I chose. The Scriptures declare, 'The one who shares my food has turned against me,' and this will soon come true.  I tell you this now, so that when it happens you will believe I am the Messiah. Truly, anyone who welcomes my messenger is welcoming me, and anyone who welcomes me is welcoming the Father who sent me."
Now Jesus was in great anguish of spirit, and he exclaimed, "The truth is, one of you will betray me!"   The disciples looked at each other, wondering whom he could mean.   One of Jesus' disciples, the one Jesus loved, was sitting next to Jesus at the table.  Simon Peter motioned to him to ask who would do this terrible thing.  Leaning toward Jesus, he asked, "Lord, who is it?"  Jesus said, "It is the one to whom I give the bread dipped in the sauce." And when he had dipped it, he gave it to Judas, son of Simon Iscariot.  As soon as Judas had eaten the bread, Satan entered into him. Then Jesus told him, "Hurry. Do it now."   None of the others at the table knew what Jesus meant.   Since Judas was their treasurer, some thought Jesus was telling him to go and pay for the food or to give some money to the poor.  So Judas left at once, going out into the night.
 As soon as Judas left the room, Jesus said, "The time has come for me, the Son of Man, to enter into my glory, and God will receive glory because of all that happens to me.  And God will bring me into my glory very soon.  Dear children, how brief are these moments before I must go away and leave you! Then, though you search for me, you cannot come to me—just as I told the Jewish leaders.  So now I am giving you a new commandment: Love each other. Just as I have loved you, you should love each other. Your love for one another will prove to the world that you are my disciples."
 Simon Peter said, "Lord, where are you going?"  And Jesus replied, "You can't go with me now, but you will follow me later."   "But why can't I come now, Lord?" he asked. "I am ready to die for you."   Jesus answered, "Die for me? No, before the rooster crows tomorrow morning, you will deny three times that you even know me."   John 13: 1-38

Did Jesus wash Judas' feet?  I think He did.  That's what love does; it washes the feet of people believing lies, lets them walk away-freely, with no strings attached.  It keeps no record of wrong, believes the best, never gives up.  Love never fails.

Yesterday our church had Kite day and I was anticipating the opportunity to connect with people and enjoy the amazing kites after the service, but as soon as I awoke my father told me he was going to go to the hospital as soon as we got home from church.  But we weren't going to come home from church, so I encouraged him to go then, in the morning.  That meant that I would have to stay home with mom and miss church.  So, I sent Jef and the boys off...
I wrestled with anger, frustration and feeling dumped on because I'd told him all week we had this planned and he could have gone to the hospital two days earlier, but he'd just put it off because he didn't want to sit in the ER just waiting for hours.  We had words and he left.  Mom had fallen back asleep after I fed her breakfast and given her her meds, so I had time to ponder, pray and forgive.  I knew as soon as my dad came home he would apologize, which he did.
As I wrestled with God over having to give up my will/plans, I sensed the Spirit inside me remind me that my life is not my own...this was a test.  'Take the towel, Daune, wrap yourself in it and wash feet.'
It turned out that dad came home shortly before 1 p.m., my friend Ashley came over and we all got to go to church, watch kites, connect and enjoy the day...and I still get to listen to the message online!  Praise God for the internet. 

Funny how a picture of dirty feet can stir such truth if one is looking.  My feet were dirty; He washed them.  Then He gave me an opportunity to clothe myself with a towel, care for others and take the path of blessing.

So, the next time you see someone without shoes on, remember that He loves dirty feet.

Too many gifts to remember...

#162:  clean feet

163:  a great last session with our engaged couple

164:  a Valentine's day gift in March!

165:  flowers blooming everywhere

166: two beautiful granddaughters

167: a great son-in-law

168:  four sons

169:  a vulnerable daughter hungry for Truth and open to correction

170:  mom on half the meds she was on

171:  my best friend

1 comment:

Caroline said...

A very good thought provoking post Daune. Glad you were able to see the kites after all and yes God reigns over the internet too!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...