September 4, 2009

Reminders...

A quiet house, bird chorus reminding me that this is His day, as all are.
But this day, love is home. One day off sandwiched between so many away from us.
So I let him rest and slipped to the kitchen to retrieve the cup of coffee I refrigerated from last nite. All ready...



I know that if I spend my time with Him on my bed I'll go back to sleep and then the day will overtake me and it is more than time to be consistent with this habit of getting up with the chorus of birds to sit at His feet and hear His voice.
I open my Bible to 2 Chron. 16 and just begin...it's about King Asa...and he was a good king...there were so few back then. But as I read on, I am pricked by these words:
2 Chron. 16:7-10 (NLT)
At that time Hanani the seer came to King Asa and told him,
"Because you have put your trust in the king of Aram instead of in the Lord your
God, you missed your chance to destroy the army of the king of Aram. [8] Don't
you remember what happened to the Ethiopians and Libyans and their vast army,
with all of their chariots and horsemen? At that time you relied on the Lord,
and he handed them all over to you. [9] The eyes of
the Lord search the whole earth in order to strengthen those whose hearts are
fully committed to him.
What a fool you have been! From now on,
you will be at war." [10] Asa became so angry with Hanani for saying this that
he threw him into prison. At that time, Asa also began to oppress some of his
people.
That's when it hits me. Just as Asa trusted in his
own strength, relied on others, I, too, had forgotten and the Spirit of God in
me wanted to encourage me, yet remind me that there are consequences to trusting
in my own strength, that He is the one that delivers, not my ability to say the
right things, DO the right things, or even my passion to search out answers
because He is the answer I'm searching for. Not that reading or researching is
wrong, but my heart motivation was wrong because I was afraid. Pride kept Asa
from receiving all that God wanted to do in his life and I could see how pride
so subtley
had blindsided me and fear was robbing me...

Why do I so easily forget? Does others forget, too?

God had been revealing issues that He wants to change in all of us and reading, "Raising Kids for True Greatness: Redefine Success for You and Your Child" and "Why Christian Kids Rebel"- both by Tim Kimmel have been assisting us in evaluating areas where we've been off. They're excellent resources and I encourage everyone to read them!

Basically these books are for us, not our kids~patterns of wrong beliefs we've had, but the reality is that even these 'tools' won't do any good if the foundation is crooked and only Jesus can fix that!

Then the Spirit led me to Matthew 7:

Matthew 7:7-12 (NLT) "Keep on asking, and you will be given what you ask for. Keep on looking, and you will find. Keep on knocking, and the door will be opened. [8] For everyone who asks, receives.
Everyone who seeks, finds. And the door is opened to everyone who knocks. [9]
You parents—if your children ask for a loaf of bread, do you give them a stone
instead? [10] Or if they ask for a fish, do you give them a snake? Of course
not! [11] If you sinful people know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will your heavenly Father give good
gifts to those who ask him.
[12] "Do for others what you would like them to do
for you.
This is a summary of all that is taught in the law and the prophets.

An on...

Matthew 7:24-29 (NLT) "Anyone who listens to my
teaching and obeys me is wise, like a person who builds a house on solid rock.
[25] Though the rain comes in torrents and the floodwaters rise and the winds
beat against that house, it won't collapse, because it is built on rock. [26]
But anyone who hears my teaching and ignores it is foolish, like a person who
builds a house on sand. [27] When the rains and floods come and the winds beat
against that house, it will fall with a mighty crash." [28]
After Jesus finished speaking, the crowds were amazed at his teaching, [29] for
he taught as one who had real authority—quite unlike the teachers of religious
law.

He restored my soul today. My cup is running over and new wine has been poured into new wineskins.

Have a great Labor day weekend...they say we may even have rain...yippee!


1 comment:

Teresa @ Grammy Girlfriend said...

You won something on my blog...so check it out and send me your information....

Teresa

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...