April 27, 2015

How To Measure The Span Of A Life

"Today you are you!  That is truer than true!  There is no one alive who is you-er than you!"  Dr. Suess


 I wonder if Mr. Suess realized he nailed the truth each one of us needs to hear, especially as we celebrate another birthday.

decadent chocolate cake
Friday marked the twenty-eighth anniversary of my twenty-fifth birthday! For those of you that don't want to take the time to add, that's fifty-three candles! My sweet, loving and thoughtful daughter-in-law knew so many candles were NOT necessary, and instead gave my granddaughter a #9 to push down into this rich, chocolate covered cake!  No regrets here.  It was so moist and delicious.



As difficult as it is to accept, the facts remain: the scales have tipped away from youth (quite a while ago actually) and I'm bending towards the 'senior' discount era, potential AARP membership status and a blanket of grey hair as thick as bluebonnets in springtime here in TEXAS...yet not nearly as pretty!

field with bluebonnets in TX









    ...how does that compare, though, to His truth in Psalms 39:5?

drawing the span of life on the palm of one's hand




"You have made my life no longer than the width of my hand.  My entire life is just a moment to you; at best, each of us is but a breath."

When I opened my Bible last Friday morning, this was the verse I read.  So, with my right pointer finger, I drew a line across my left hand, imagining where my 'time-line' dot was.

But does that really matter if living today is all I have? 

There may be more wrinkles and grey hair than I'd like, but I'm me, fully alive!


Supposing that life's greatest challenge is inhaling deep enough to enjoy each moment and exhaling slowly into the mystery, adventure, and wisdom of old age, how will I live this coming year, this month, even today?

lit birthday candleSimple.  

By faith.  

Authentically being me.

...and pretending I'm still nine years old means I have a long life ahead of me!





No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...