April 25, 2012

After all these years

“And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years.”  Abraham Lincoln
********************************* 

I turned fifty yesterday. 

For some reason, fifty isn't that old anymore.  It's almost young again. 

Sunday afternoon, Love blindfolded me and drove over to our son's home.  As the front door opened, I heard, "HAPPY BIRTHDAY!" 

It's an understatement to say that I was overwhelmed by the all the different people he secretly invited to celebrate me.  I could tell you of the many gifts I received:  my son, Daniel-Paul wrote me a song about living on the farm in NY...made me cry!  My daughter and her family made me a video you can watch and laugh at here, I think.  My son, Josh made another video and brought over, in the middle of the night, paver stones and flowers that greeted me when I walked out the back door yesterday morning.  My future daughter-in-law gave me cushions for my swing; there were more flowers, a homemade cake, hand-made beautiful magnets bought in the hills of Tennessee, and the list goes on.  Of course, dad outdid himself with gifts daily! But then my Love asked each one to write me a note or to speak out in front of everyone, answering the question: 

'What has Daune meant to you?'
He even called my dearest faraway friends and asked them to write him the note and then he read one at the party and another one on my birthday after dinner. 

Sweet sneak that he is!

One never knows the depth their life affects others until hearts open and love-words spill out.  There was a flood of affirmation that night that kept me drinking from the fountain of His love and awake half the night!  I seriously could not stop thinking about how much Jesus is alive in my life and the truth of His word:
 
"Guard your heart above all else, for it determines the course of your life."  Proverbs 4:23 


 And yet, even if I didn't have a relationship with Jesus, I am certain that, though there may have been kind words spoken about me, they wouldn't have had eternal significance.  What good is it to gain the whole world (i.e.- their approval, acceptance and love) and lose one's soul?

Now, at fifty, I am even more convinced of His grace and keeping of me, despite my flaws, weaknesses and shortcomings.  He has remained faithful and He will perfect that which concerns me until the day He comes back to take me home.

All praise, glory and accolades to the One who designed me, loves me, has given me friendships and uses me to further His kingdom.

I am who I am today because of my Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ.




No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...